Thursday, October 18, 2012

Doctors in Training


HADIJA’S HIV TEST CAME BACK NEGATIVE!!! Today we took Hadija (probably my favorite, shh don’t tell anyone) to the hospital to get tested for HIV.  When we learned that her father died from AIDs and her mom was HIV positive, we were pretty convinced she had it too.  She hadn’t been tested with the rest of the kids since she started school a few months late so we wanted to make sure we took her to the doctor as soon as possible to get tested.  She was very brave and only cried for a minute when they drew blood.  We were so excited to learn she was negative, she’s one lucky girl!!  Unfortunately, there is one child at our orphanage who is HIV positive- Moodi.  Matt is hoping to find someone to sponsor his medication once we leave since he isn’t taking anything right now.
Hadija's very simple HIV test results- "Child - negative"
We also took James to the hospital for the 5th time since I have been here for an infected toe.  He was in a lot of pain and couldn’t walk in September so we have been treating his infection with antibiotics. Eventually the doctors removed his toenail and it seemed to be healing nicely but because he plays in a dirt field with open toed sandals everyday, the toe got infected again.  After the doctor cleaned and wrapped his toe up, we went shoe shopping for a new pair of sneakers to keep that toe clean!

Daktari Karina wrapping up James' toe
This week has been filled with all sorts of ailments. In addition to the infected toe and HIV test, I have been treating a bunch of the kids twice a day for ringworm.  I ended up at the doctor on Saturday morning for what I thought was a really infected cut on my knee, turns out it is ringworm.  I know, so gross!  I got medicine for myself as well as the kids because we all know my ringworm only could have come from one place!  I know you are dying to see pictures of the ringworm but fortunately for you, I don’t have any.

Don’t worry, there were some good things that happened this week as well!  Matt and I bought enough rice, beans, flour, corn, and fruit to feed all of the kids for over a week.  Hopefully we added a little variety to their meals this week.  We also went to visit a primary school today to get the ball rolling on researching places to send Edwin and Augustino to in January.  With everyone’s help, I am getting really close to being able to sponsor schooling for both of them for a year!  I can’t wait to tell them the good news but I am waiting until next week when I start tutoring them for the entrance exam.  Karina’s last day was Tuesday so we sang a bunch of songs with them and played limbo in the yard.  They were very sad to see her go.  Below are two videos of the kids singing:

Songs for Karina's Farewell

If You're Happy and you Know It

The Limbo
Augustino (left) and Edwin (right), who both live at the orphanage and are like brothers, will be going to primary school in January, thanks to everyone who donated!!

Last weekend we went on a hike to these beautiful waterfalls not too far from my house.  We took boda bodas (motorcycles) up the road to the woods and then hiked down this steep hill and along a river until we got to the waterfall.  We were followed by a bunch of little boys who wanted to help out our guides. At first we were a little annoyed because we knew they were only tagging along to see if we would give them money but they were preeeetty helpful when I slipped and fell.  I was trying to show off my horrific, white girl dance moves on this really steep part and I lost my footing and slid down the hill in the mud.  One of the boys quickly picked me up and got me back on my feet and then didn’t leave my side the rest of the hike…such a little gentleman!  After the hike, our guides let us drive the boda bodas, it was so much fun.  Kiko said I am a really good driver so maybe I should invest in a motorcycle when I get home?
Yeah, that happened...
Breezin' around on the boda boda with Kiko
To say farewell to Karina this week, Matt, Karina, and I went to lunch at this place called Shanga.  It’s a small factory outside the city that makes beautiful jewelry, scarves, blankets, glassware, etc out of recycled materials and they only hire disabled people.  A lot of the workers are deaf and some have physical disabilities. This place gives them a job and a real sense of community; it’s a really amazing place. There is also a very delicious restaurant and a small field with couches to relax.  We spent all afternoon walking around, eating lunch, reading on the couches, and playing with the monkeys that roam around.  We were sad to see Karina go but it was a great way to spend our last day together!

Shanga Bead Factory
Relaxing :)

1 comment:

  1. Quite an eventful week!!!
    I vote no on the motorcycle (just incase you were wondering)...sorry but I have a feeling New York roads are little more unforgiving than the village roadways...

    ReplyDelete